How Many Times Can A Power Bank Can Be used?

ezgif.com gif maker 12

If you recently purchased a power bank, you must think about How many times a power bank can be used?

A power bank gives 80% -90% output for charging other devices and utilizes the rest, 10%-20%, to show charging indicators, flashlights, and beeping sounds. Many power banks have a capacity from 5000 mAh to 50000 mAh.

But most people don’t know entirely about power bank usage and how many times it can charge a device.

If you plan to buy a new power bank, you can read further to know complete details about power bank usage and other things.

Related: How to charge your phone faster!

Detailed information on power bank usage.

As per my research on Amazon.com, most people buy a power bank of 20000 mAh. But they think that they can utilize its full juice out of it.

To make it easy to understand, I have made a table and mentioned how many times a particular device can be charged. Also, I have listed power banks with a 5000 – 50000 mAh capacity.

The data I have mentioned in the table relates to charging an iPhone 13, which has a 4352 mAh battery. How often can you charge this phone with various capacity power banks.

Power bank battery capacityThe time it can fully charge a 5000 mAh phone
10000 mAh1
20000 mAh 3
30000 mAh 5
40000 mAh7
50000 mAh9
Table for charging of an iPhone with power bank
Power bank battery capacityThe time it can fully charge an iPhone 13
10000 mAh2
20000 mAh 4
30000 mAh 6
40000 mAh9
50000 mAh11
Table for charging a smartphone using a power bank

The data above is for charging your smartphone or device from 0% to 100%, but you should avoid that because I have told you about the battery charge and discharge cycle in other posts.

Charging times can vary if you set your phone or device at 30%,50%, or 70%.

Why in power banks full battery cannot be consumed?

Some internal parts of the power bank include a battery indicator, screen, and flashlight. Using them draws the juice from that device itself, and about 20% of the battery capacity power bank uses it.

Suppose you have bought a power bank of 20000 mAh, but you can consume only 18000 mAh to charge the devices. Also, while charging another device, as heat is lost due to energy transmission, some battery capacity is lost.

How many times a power bank can be charged(Lifespan)?

Power banks consist of lithium-ion batteries, and all lithium-ion batteries last for two to three years. And the lifespan of power banks depends on how many times it has been used.

As you all have read in my previous post, you must know now that lithium-ion batteries can be charged up to 600-700 cycles. Sometimes, they can peak at 1000 cycles as well. However, many people don’t use a power bank daily, and the frequency of charging a power bank is also significantly less.

I have not used my power bank for the past three months. This happened because I did not travel much, and the power outage was also significantly less. Due to that, my power bank does not have many charges.

How long do power banks last?

Powerbanks life depends on how you use it. If you are a traveler, then it will hardly last a year. But as a weekly or monthly user, I can say I have been using a power bank for 7 years now. It has old micro USB charging port and still can charge up by device 2-3 time fully.

How long does the power bank hold a charge?

The self-discharge rate of power banks is an average of 5% – 10% monthly. But it can increase with certain conditions.

  • If powerbanks is kept in a hot place, the self-discharge rate will increase with the increase in temperature, and it will lose more power.
  • If it kept ideal for too long, like three to six months, the charge percentage could drop more than 50%.

This self-discharge rate applies not only to power banks but to every device with a lithium-ion battery. If you do not charge them frequently, it could be bad for cells.

To keep your battery healthy, charge the device once every two months. Otherwise, the battery retention will degrade slowly.

Related: Guide to clean charging port.

What is inside the powerbank?

Powerbank is not what you think it contains mainly of two things:

  • Circuit board.
  • Lithium Ion Battery.

This video might help you clear your doubts about power banks.

Can the power bank be charged with any charging adapter?

Most power banks do not come with any power brink and charging brick. You will only get a short USB type C cable in the pack to charge the devices. But you can charge a power bank with any of the chargers you have.

Most power banks support fast charging. You can use your present mobile chargers to charge them quickly.

FAQ

How much time does it take to charge a power bank?

As power banks have massive battery capacity with regular chargers of 10W – 15W, it takes 2-3 hours to fully charge a 20000 mAh power bank. But with the fast charger, you can reduce the time to half.